There is a saying in medical education,
“If you’ve seen one academic medical center, you’ve seen one academic medical center.”
The same can be said of the 152 VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) medical centers. It would be a huge mistake to lump all VA’s together. Among the 27 VA centers with Podiatric residency programs, the Eastern Colorado Health Care System and the VA Medical Center Denver is among the best.
- We offer the well rounded training needed to prepare our graduates for whatever they may encounter in private podiatry practice, multi-specialty medical group practice, governmental podiatry (VA, Military, Indian health or Public Health service) or academic medicine (allopathic, osteopathic or podiatric medical schools).
- Our residents learn to function in trauma centers, surgery centers and hospitals outside of the VA and representative of private practice. These affiliated institutions boost the exposure to surgery cases of all types including reconstructive rear foot, ankle surgery, arthroscopic surgery and the application of external fixation including frames. This does not imply that we do not do those cases at the Denver VA…we do.
- Our affiliations also afford our resident’s rotations to the Children’s Hospital for both musculoskeletal and dermatological experiences. This includes the pediatric gait lab, one of the most sophisticated in the United States.
- Being affiliated with the University of Colorado medical school you become aware of the “bigger picture” as a podiatric resident working and learning alongside 136 allopathic residents and 300 medical students.
- Being in a VA medical center you will also learn about government run health care, which is distinctly different from a private practice but arguably may become more and more like what health care will look like in the future.
The Denver VA Medical Center is a 162 bed major referral hospital providing tertiary medical, surgical, neurological, rehabilitation and psychiatric care. Also on campus is a 60-bed Nursing Home Care Unit. The Medical Center supports a Primary Care Clinic in Aurora, Colorado at the former Fitzsimons Army Medical Center and a Primary Care Clinic in Lakewood, Colorado. The Denver VAMC is a major teaching medical center affiliated with the medical, dental, pharmacy and nursing schools of the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. We are also are a part of the Department of Veterans Affairs Eastern Colorado Health Care System which extends along the front range of the Rocky Mountains and into Southern Colorado.
Residency programs are maintained in Internal Medicine and Surgery and their sub-specialties as well as Psychiatry; Neurology; Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Anesthesia; Pathology; Radiology and Dentistry. Affiliations include the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Regis College, Front Range Community College, Community College of Denver and Arapahoe Community College.
We are located at 1055 Clermont St (112) Denver, CO 80220