The Podiatric Medicine and Surgical Residency (PMSR RRA) sponsored by the Dept of Veterans Affairs Eastern Colorado Health Care System – VA Medical Center Denver
This three year residency program is designed to produce a podiatric medical and surgical specialist who is an expert in the recognition and management of all foot and ankle conditions.
- Established in 1981 and training 2 residents, currently the program has received approval from the Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME) to train nine residents (three at each level) as a PMSR with the added credentials of Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery (RRA).
- To teach residents the skills of managing podiatric patients by working with established podiatric experts in the in-patient, out-patient, emergency department and operating room settings.
- To familiarize the resident with hospital procedures and the scope and functions of other providers of health services
- To develop operating skills to perform diverse forefoot, rearfoot and ankle surgeries
- To gain extensive experience treating chronic lower extremity wounds
Academics and Training
During the residency you will be under the supervision of Senior Attending Podiatrists.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing all patients admitted to the Podiatry Service.
- Participating in the surgical treatment of the podiatry patient
- Participating in daily rounds with an attending physician
- Documenting consults and operative notes
- Participating in the Podiatry Clinic
- Rotating to a variety of settings outside of the VA system.